In September of this past year, Huza Press, a Rwandan publishing house called out to Rwandan writers to submit their original unpublished short stories for its 2nd short story contest. The given deadline was at the end of November, 2016.
Different Rwandan writers were very excited for this opportunity and more than 50 writers joined. For this contest, a writer was allowed to submit up to 3 short stories and each story was supposed to have between 3000 and 5000 words.
Now after more than a month of heating anticipation from contestants, 20 stories that made the longlist were annonounced.
Here is the list:
- Araje – Landry Ndoli Subira
- October – Alfonsina Kayitesi
- Alone in the Dark – Rutwaza Ganza Leon Leandre
- Nsekanabo’s Chase – Joseph Njata
- Beyond Repair – Lucky Grace Isingizwe
- Safe – Dominique Uwase Alonga
- Spilled Beans – Mutsinzi Eric
- Three-Ringed Silver Ring – Rwabahizi Arnaud
- Inoni – Denyse Umuhuza
- L – Jessy Mugisha
- Tempted – Ganza Moise
- Another Boring Story – Victor Kagimba
- My Brother’s Keeper – Shakila Kamatali Umutoni
- Save the Children – Lucky Grace Isingizwe
- Sum of all Good Things – Isaac Barclay
- Confession – Emmanuel Byishimo
- Echoes of Love – Raissa Kamaliza
- Les Histoire Inédite de Ruganzu II Ndoli – Jules Cesar Niyonkuru
- Duexime Session – Kalume Féfé
- Le Mariage de L’année – Kalume Féfé
Louise Umutoni, the founder of Huza Press, claimed that cash is one of the ways of expressing motivation to Rwandan writers. Therefore, there are prizes that await 10 best stories that will make it to the shortlist; $500 each. The 1st prize of the best story of all will be awarded with $1000, though.
More than that, the writers of the 10 best stories will be provided with writers’ workshops to help them improve their writing. Each one of them will also have a chance to participate in literally festivals like Writivims and more.
This contest was open to all Rwandans no matter where they are located currently and for that stories to submit were either in English or French.
On February 28th, 2017, that is when 10 stories from the above list will be extracted as a shortlist of the winners.