Code of Conduct
aKoma is a place where you and the world meet to talk about Africa. We are an open platform for stories made@africa. This means you can say what you want, when you want, and how you want, whether you are on mobile or desktop.
We believe that our creative African community is more opinionated than ever before, and we want to share our diverse voices.
Because this is an open platform, we have to be crystal clear about the guidelines for using aKomanet.com. All members will be completely responsible for the content created on the platform, not aKoma Media. We will not be editing what you write or create, so we ask you to please be responsible and thoughtful.
We ask that you respect the boundaries and member codes we have established for aKoma. There may be some who will spoil it for the rest of us, and we will react appropriately, potentially blocking them from aKoma if the code of conduct is violated. It is simply not productive for any member of the aKoma community to feel threatened or unsafe. If we are made aware that you have violated the code of conduct as articulated here, we will remove you from the platform and you will not be able to participate as a member and storyteller on aKoma.
What we really want is for all of our members, inside or outside Africa, to stick to the code of conduct. It will help shape a new narrative that is potent, and an environment where we can produce great content and perspectives.
Please take a second to read through aKoma's Code of Conduct.
- No personal attacks toward an individual that is hurtful, defamatory or inflammatory.
- No racism
- No demeaning of ethnicities
- No support for terrorist groups or extremist ideology
- No sexism or derogatory attitudes towards women
- No derogatory attitudes towards gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people
- No derogatory attitudes towards physically or mentally challenged individuals or groups
- Protect the identities of victims and children
- Be sensitive when using graphic images
- Do not show graphic images of the deceased
- No bullying. Trolls will not be tolerated.
- No porn or explicit nakedness.
- No obscene writing.
- No fraudulent stories.
- No plagiarism and please attribute where appropriate.
- Be aware of, and include, balance in your stories.
- Be transparent about bias.
- You will use your real name on aKoma, no aliases.
- No harassment
- Limit swearing
- Do not promote commercial products
- Be transparent about conflicts of interest.
Thanks for getting through that. Now you know!
Enjoy using our platform.